Tuesday, October 13, 2009

FO: Selbu Modern, DK'd

The list of items I am intending to showcase here is sort of appalling, in that it's very long and I have the attention span of a turnip this week. That's what happens when you endure five and a half days of dust storms in rural New Mexico, much of it from atop the roof of a house where your cell phone just looks back at you and blinks rather than attempt any meaningful contact with the outside world.

Just sayin'.

Where was I?

I finished this a few weeks ago in September:


Apologies for the bathroom-mirror shot. I try to avoid those, but the odd part of finally living in a nice apartment is that there is no direct light against a bare wall anywhere in here.


This yarn is unbelievably awesome. Soft, soft, soft, and the colors behave excellently together, precisely in the opposite way of a dust storm and my sinuses.

pattern: Selbu Modern, by Kate Gagnon Osborn.
completed: September 28, 2009.
yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca & Silk (1 skein each of 127 (blue) and 132 (yellow), 146 yards each).
made for: me.
needles: size 1 and 3 circs.


Permit me to show off like your Cousin Buster last Thanksgiving and tell you about my mathematical prowess. See those decreases at the top? There are seven repeats in there. Yup, seven. Pattern calls for eight. I used a DK yarn instead of light fingering, and all my calculations (many of which involved the quantity pi) turned out righty-right-right. I'm just sayin'.

This pattern is a super one if you're not sure about your colorwork skills; there are only two strands throughout. Plus, it's beautiful. I've got my eye on Jared Flood's Beaumont Tam next!

6 comments:

Adrienne Martini said...

That is a fabulous hat. But, um, when will you have the opportunity in Austin to wear it?

Anonymous said...

Love the hat! I'm way impressed with your math skillz.

Gena said...

It looks fantastic! I'm super duper impressed with your math skills. Me, I'd have just made it huge 'cause I'm too lazy to figure out the math.

Caroline said...

OMG if you are willing to be paid to make another, I am willing to pay you.

Adriana said...

Looks fantastic!! I am in awe of your math skills.

Kara said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I LOVE your Selbu. Those colors are amazing together.