Sunday, October 25, 2009

Adventures Abound

We're trying new things around here.

First, I had a coupon for Greenling, an organic grocery home delivery service. They offer a lot of local foods, which are hard to find when you start looking.

Turns out, local foods really are better -- it's the freshness. On Saturday, we had my usual "throwpot pasta" (throw whatever you have into a pot and put it over pasta) with half a pound of ground beef from a cow who lived in nearby Bastrop and ate a lot of grass. OH MY GOODNESS. You could smell and taste the difference -- absolutely fresh meat, bright red when it was raw, that tasted superb. Also, meat from locally raised livestock may still involve the death of an animal, but the animal lived in better conditions and the negative environmental impact is drastically lessened by the reduced distance the meat has to travel.

We also got a half-dozen fresh eggs form a local farm in the same drop-off box. Four of them did their part in a key lime pie:


It didn't last long enough for a virgin photo.

I followed the recipe in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and the ingredients roughly include the following:

  • 9 Graham crackers
  • sugar
  • LOADS of butter
  • the yolks of four farm-fresh eggs
  • a little bit of lime juice
  • later,
  • the four egg whites
  • confectioner's sugar
  • a pinch of cream of tartar and salt
  • a call to my mother to ask if it really takes that long to beat meringue: "It's faster if you have a mixer." / "Yeah, I don't think we have one."
  • a plea to my husband who generously turned his arm to the meringue when mine threatened to fall off, followed by, "You know we have a mixer, don't you?"


Lastly, I finally found the time to unpack my brand...
new...
sewing machine!


Thanks to Kara and Consumer Reports, I settled on a Brother Innovis-40 machine, and this weekend I tried it out on a simple repair job. It ain't pretty, but that's one sports bra that'll have another few years of use left. I've got a skirt pattern and some cotton-hemp fabric waiting for when my courage rises.

By the way, I put money down for all the products mentioned here. Just in case anybody's wondering if Brother decided to send me a free sewing machine. (Say, that's a pretty good idea, now that I mention it...)

4 comments:

Gena said...

I made a chocolate pie and it was all eaten before I had time to take a picture.

Isn't it amazing how much different local foods cost? Organic fruits and veggies have so much more taste, and local grass-fed beef? Oh my lord, it's so much better!

Anonymous said...

Yum, the foods sound delicious. I'm especially impressed that you were able to eat locally.

Can't wait to see what you do with that sewing machine!

knittygirl said...

Read your article in Interweave Weekend and loved it! Don't know if I could pull it off, but it's a great idea!:)

Food sounds delicious!

Heidi

Kara said...

Yay! You got your machine! I LOVE mine. And I hope you are as happy with it as I am!