Tuesday, May 5, 2009

FO: Whisper Cardigan

I don't want to dwell too much on unhappy things, but dudes: last week sucked. It was so sucky, other bad weeks take lessons from that week in how they can be suckier.

I woke up Monday morning feeling crappy. Sore throat, distantly achy... Still, my mother would have made me go to school, so I went to work.

One hour later, my fiance got laid off from his job. If you're counting, that's less than six weeks before our wedding.

I then found myself working four twelve-hour days in a row. It was one of those infuriating confluences of events that left me unable to take time off, because time off for me means no pay, and no pay now means something other than what it meant the week before.

By the time Friday creaked in, I couldn't take any more and collapsed and knit and then collapsed some more and knit some more.

I also washed and blocked a new FO:



So here's the thing: when something sucks, it's bad. We still have our health (well, now I do. Last week not so much), our relationship, and our resources. We'll make do. It ain't my idea of fun, but something that sucks is usually something that can be dealt with, eventually.

One of the ways to deal with things temporarily is to knit. I read somewhere that most human stress comes from feeling out of control. Knitting? I control that bitch.


Yup, I know. Bad hair, mean look. See above re: suckiness.


pattern: Whisper Cardigan by Hannah Fettig, Interweave Knits Spring 2009.
yarn: Bristol Yarn Gallery Lyndon Hill (color: 110; 85% cotton, 15% silk; just barely more than 3 skeins)
made for: me, to wear to our rehearsal dinner in just under a month
notes: LOVE IT. Most of my mods were to take into account the cotton/silk blend which behaves differently and sags more than wool. The sleeves I knit about an inch shorter; I'm counting on them growing a bit. The ribbing is twisted rib to help hold the shape. Also, I didn't increase all the way down the body. Instead, I went to an increase every 4 rows then to no increases at all near the bottom. I'm so excited to show this off on June 5!

6 comments:

Clumsy Knitter said...

Ouch! Sorry you had such a bad week. Keep your chin up during your stressful times. :)

Erin said...

A beautiful FO in the midst of a seriously crappy week. Hope things are looking up soon!

Gena said...

It looks great! I hope this week is better than last.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you did a fantastic job! What mean look, bad hair?? Puh-leeze. I think you look fabulous.

Hope this week is MUCH better.

sweetgeorgia said...

Ohh, I'm so sorry to hear about your week. Your cardigan looks gorgeous though. What's it that EZ always says? "Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."

Kara said...

What an awful week. I hope this one is better. At the very lease, you have a great FO, so that is already something.