Tuesday, June 5, 2007

All at once!

Last night, I had the pleasure of presenting several awards at the annual Austin Critics Table Awards. (How exactly I got to be a presenter, I can't quite say, but even artistic gift horses should keep their mouths closed.)

All kinds of info, plus pictures, will be available here when Statesman writer Michael Barnes posts about the evening.

Instead, I will kill a joke by repeating it. It was up to me to present the Special Citation "Good on Us" to all of Austin for their participation in 365 Plays/365 Days. So I asked all of Austin not to rush the stage to give their thank-yous and compliments. Instead, I said, "On my signal, I would like everyone to say something good about yourself and the person sitting next to you."

It worked. If you ever get the opportunity to lead about 200 people in complimenting themselves simultaneously, I encourage you to do that. The sound is both deafening and hilarious.

I was also delighted to present the David Mark Cohen New Play Award to Zell Miller III for My Child, My Child, My Alien Child. I only know Zell from seeing him perform in that play, but I hope more recognition comes to this funny and talented playwright/performer.

No comments: