Monday, May 28, 2007

Not a good question to ask.

I realize this mini-rant will not apply to the few people who regularly read or comment on my blog, because you guys all attended Ohio Trip, for which I was grateful, honored, and very glad.

All the same, I'd like to discuss those people out there who proooomised they'd be there, mentioned it every time they saw me, asked how it was going, didn't show up, and then -- and this is the kicker -- now that they see me again, they say, "Are you going to be doing it again?"

Flames. Flames, from the side of my face.
--Madeline Kahn, Clue


What on earth is wrong with the human brain that so many people seem to think that producing this event was somehow so easy that I can just do it again, any old time I want? It's not unlike telling a newlywed, "I'm so sorry I missed your wedding because I was drinking beer and picking my bellybutton lint all weekend. Are you going to be having another wedding so I can show up this time, even though I won't?"

If you can't make it, you can't make it. If you don't want to, then whatever. If you repeatedly promise you're going to make it and you don't, I don't like you very much.

But if you ask me if I'm going to mount that play again, I will look for a way to spit in your shoe. And you really don't want me to do that, because I have a cold right now.

No comments: